The park and gardens were ambitiously designed and laid out by landscape architect Jules Buyssens (1872-1958). The leafy park has gorgeous sightlines from De Burgh past the gardens and to the forest beyond. The large scenic pond has two little islands. The original moats of the old Burgh were used to lay out the pond.
Huize de Burgh
‘Huize de Burgh’ (The Burgh Mansion) was designed by architect Jos Cuypers and was built in 1912 for the Smits van Oyen family. In 1936, the Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy bought the mansion as an aftercare accommodation for psychiatric patients. Because of the increasing amount of patients, the park was extended with a monastery, a kitchen and the St. Josephkapel (St. Joseph’s Chapel). Until the nineteen-eighties, the sisters stayed active in health care, but due to ageing, they now require care themselves. In 1982, the first Kloosterverzorgingshuis (Monastery nursing home) was set up on the St. Josephsburgh, which is the current Glorieuxpark.
The current organisations of Glorieuxpark arose from the Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy, which was founded in 1845 by Stefaan Modest Glorieux (1802 – 1872).